පොල් සැකසුම් පර්යේෂණ අංශය
ශෂ්ය විද්යා අංශය
වගා සංරක්ෂණ අංශය
ආර්ථික විද්යාව සහ කෘෂි ව්යාපාර
ප්රවේණි හා ශාක අභිජනන අංශය
ශාක කායික විද්යා අංශය
පොල් සැකසුම් පර්යේෂණ අංශය
පාංශු සහ ශාක පෝෂණ අංශය
පටක රෝපණ අංශය
තාක්ෂණ හුවමාරු අංශය
Development of low Glycemic Indexed (GI) food from defatted coconut flour and defatted testa flour
Physico-chemical, sensory and nutritional characteristics of coconut flour incorporated foods (Funded by Agricultural Research Policy)
Quality Evaluation of sweet coconut chips through maturity index of coconut
Investigation of nano composites with coir fiber
Analyzing the impact of ultra sonication and microfiltration processing on quality of king coconut water
Development of Instant beverage from low fat coconut milk
Development of hygienic absorption pads using biomass of coconut and natural cotton
Development of machinery for coir industry- Coir extraction machine and coir pith dryer (With collaboration of NERDC)
Applying Isotopic Fingerprinting to Authenticate Sri Lankan Coconut Kernel Products to Protect and Promote in International Market (Collaborative research with Atomic Energy Authority – NSF funded)
• Use of cooled containers for collection and transportation
• Containers should be food grade plastics or stainless steel
• Pasteurization conditions: 60 0C for 20 minutes
• Store at 4-9 0C for 24 hours without shaking to remove the suspended materials
එස්. එස් රාජපක්ෂ මයා
ටී.එම්.එස්.ජී. වීරසිංහ මිය
ඒ.එම්.එල් සිල්වා මිය
සී.ඒ.ටී.ඩී. චන්ද්රපේලි මිය
ඩී.ඩබ්ලිව්.එල්. ලිල්රුක්ෂ මයා
එස්.එච්.කේ.ජී. කුමාරසිරි මිය
රසායනාගාර /ක්ෂේත්ර සහකාර
ඩී.සී.එස්. සඳමාලි මිය
රසායනාගාර /ක්ෂේත්ර සහකාර
එන්.ඒ.සී. උදයසිරි මහතා
රසායනාගාර /ක්ෂේත්ර සහකාර
එච්.ඩී.ජේ.කේ. ජයසේකර මයා
රසායනාගාර /ක්ෂේත්ර සහකාර
ඒ.ඒ.සී. දම්මික මයා
කාර්යාල කාර්ය සහායක
2. Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Karunaratne, D.N. and Sivakanesan, R., 2022. A Study on Acid Hydrolysis and Composition of Polysaccharides Concentrated from Coconut Kernel. CORD, 38: 30-38.
3. Bandupriya, H.D.D., Perera, S.A.C.N., Ranasinghe, C.S., Yalegama, C. and Hewapathirana, H.P.D.T., 2021. Physiological, biochemical and molecular evaluation of micropropagated and seed-grown coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) palms. Trees:1-12.
4. Hewa Pathirana, D., Yalegama, C., Arachige, D.J. and Senarathne, M., 2021. Physicochemical Properties of Virgin Coconut Oil Extracted from Different Coconut (Cocos nucifera L) Varieties. CORD, 37: 1-10.
5. Hewa Pathirana, H.P.D.T., Lakdusinghe, W.M.K., Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Chandrapeli, C.A.T.D. and Madusanka, J.A.D., 2020. Evaluation of Nutritional Composition of Defatted Coconut Flour Incorporated Biscuits. CORD, 36:33-39.
6. Fernando, J. A. K. M., and Amarasinghe, A. D. U. S. (2016). Drying kinetics and
7. mathematical modeling of hot air drying of coconut coir pith. Journal of Springer Plus,5, 807: 1-12.
1. Hewapathirana H. P. D. T, Wijesekara H. T. R, De Costa, D. M, Kumara, U. M. A. and Yalegama, L. L. W. C. (2019). Evaluation of microbial quality of unfermented coconut sap collected under two different systems by molecular approaches, International symposium of Ruhuna University, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka.
2. Jayasinghe, J. M. M. S., Hewapathirana, H. P. D. T., Wijesinghe, W. A. J. P. and Wedamulla, N. E. (2019). Development of an edible film using coconut protein isolate, International Research conference of Uva wellassa University, Badulla, Sri lanka, 240.
3. Jayamal, R. M. D. H. and Hewapathirana, H. P .D. T. (2019) Physiochemical and sensory properties of differently processed coconut milk, Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Livestock Fisheries and Nutrition Wayamba University of Sri Lanka.
4. Yalegama, C., Samaranayake, H. A. E. Perera, T. H. B. L. Jayaweera, C. (2019). A study on the changes in quality characteristics of coconut oil used for deep frying for different types of foods. Accepted for publish in Cocos (Journal published by CRI)
5. Marasinghe, S. S. K., Marikkar, J. M. N. Yalegama, C., Wimalasiri, S. Seneviratne, P. R. G. Weerasooriya, R. and Liyanage, R. (2019). Comparison of inter varietal differences in chemical composition and nutritional properties of coconut testa flour. J Nat Sci Found Sri L. 47(3): 351-358.
6. L. L. W. C Yalegama, R. Sivakanesan and D. N. Karunaratne (2019). An investigation on effectiveness of coconut flour obtained from virgin coconut oil on serum lipid concentrations of Wister rats – Proceedings of the seventh symposium on Plantation Crop Research symposium, Vol. 2: 57 – 67.
7. Fernando M. G, Silva K. D. R. R, De Silva M. P, Obadaarachchi L. N, Yalegama L. L. W. C, Williams S.S., Nutrition of patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease using the mini nutritional assessment (MNA), 132nd Anniversary International Medical Congress, Sri Lanka Medical Association, 2019.
8. Fernando J. A. K. M., Amarasinghe, A. D. U. S. and Jayarathne, W. A. R.(2019) Flash drying of coir pith as an alternative to sun drying. Moratuwa Engineering Research Conference (MERCon), 2019.
9. Fernando, J. A. K. M. and Amarasinghe, A. D. U. S. Investigation of efficient drying method for coir pith alternative to sun drying, Proceedings of the seventh symposium on Plantation Crop Research symposium, Vol. 2:. 67 – 78.
10. Thilakarathna, H. M. N. P.; Fernando, J. A. K. M.; Dharmarathne, T. T. D.; Senavirathna, A. M. W. K. Identification of Retting Enhancing Microbial Strains in Coconut Fibre Extraction. International Research conference of Uva Wellassa University, Badulla, Sri Lanka, 594.
2. Hewapathirana, H. P. T. D., Yalegama, L. L. W. C., Madusanka, J. A. D. (2018). Properties of Hal Bark (Vateria Copallifera) as an anti-fermenting agent for unfermented sap production. Proceeding of the Wayamba University International Conference, Sri Lanka, 24-25 August, 2018.
3. Hewapathirana, H. P. T. D., Yalegama, L. L. W. C., Samaranayake, H. A. E. and Dissanayake, D. M. P. D. (2018). In-vitro analysis of Glycemic Index of coconut jaggery and table sugar. Proceedings of the International symposium on Agriculture and Environment, Sri Lanka, 17th January, 2018
4. Gunawardhana, S. P. M. G., Hewapathirana, H. P. T. D., Yalegama, L. L. W. C. and Laksman, P. L. N. (2018). Development of Coconut based ready to drink beverage. Proceedings of the International symposium on Agriculture and Environment, Sri Lanka, 17th January, 2018
5. Fernando, W. L., Hewapatirana, H. P. D. T., Yalegama, L. L. W. C. and C. D. Jayaweera (2018). Phenolic compound and antioxidant activity of Ampeloocissus india (L), a wild grape species native to Asia. Chemistry in Sri Lanka, 35(2): 25-26.
2. Fernando, J. A. K. M. and Amarasinghe, A. D. U. S. (2017). Effect of retting and drying on quality of coir pith and coco discs. Journal of National Science Foundation. 45(1): 3-12.
3. Hewa Pathirana, H. P. D. T., Yalegama, L. L. W. C. Samaranayake, H. A. E. and Dissanayake, D. M. P. D. (2017). Prediction of glycemic index of coconut jaggary and table sugar by invitro analysis. Tradmed International 2017. 23rd-25th November, 2017.
4. Yalegama, L. L. W. C. (2017). Coconut oil production, marketing and innovation in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the second international conference on coconut oil. 15-18 March 2017. Trade and Exhibition Center (BITEC), Bangkok, Thailand.
1. Samaranayake, H. A. E. and Yalegama, L. L. W. C. (2016). Investigation of the Quality of Coconut Oil Available at Retail and Wholesale Shops in the Coconut Triangle, 72nd Annual Session of SLAAS, 7th and 8th December 2016 at University of Colombo.
2. Hewapathirana, H. P. D. T., Yalegama L.L.W.C., Samaranayake, H.A.E. and Weerasinghe T.M.S.G. (2016). Culture condition of bacterial cellulose formation in rotten pineapple (Ananas comosus) for nata de coco production, 2015, 5thYSF Symposium, Colombo- Abstract
3. Yalegama, L. L. W. C., Gimasha., A. J. N, Samaranayake, H. A. E. and Gunathilaka, K. D. P. P. (2016). Changes in Physico chemical properties of deep fried food due to repeatedly used coconut oil, 72nd Annual Session of SLAAS, 7th and 8th December 2016 at University of Colombo.
4. Yalegama, L. L. W. C., Sivakanesan, R. and Karunaratne, D. N. (2016). Isolation of oligosaccharides of coconut kernel and their effects on serum lipids and glucose concentration of rats. Proceeding of the sixth symposium on plantation crop research,Volume 2, November 2-4, Bandaranaike Memerial International Conference Hall, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
5. Fernando, J. A. K. M. and Amarasinghe, A.D. U.S. (2016). Drying kinetics and mathematical modeling of hot air drying of coconut coir pith. Journal of Springer Plus, 5-807, 1-12.
6. Yalegama, L. L.W. C. Sivakanesan, R. and Karunaratne, D. N. (2016). Effect of coconut kernel residues on serum lipid concentrations of rats. Procedia Food Science: 6 :186-189.
2. H.A.E. Samaranayake, S. Chakrawarthy, R. Karunakaran, A.R. Wickremasinghe (2015) Effects of white coconut oil, virgin coconut oil and grated coconut on blood glucose and serum lipids in wistar rats”, , Sri Lanka Medical Association 128th Anniversary International Medical Congress
3. H.A.E. Samaranayake, M.G. Thammitiyagodage, B.P. Galhena, S. Chakrewarthy, A. R. Wickremasinghe (2015) Optimization of reverse transcriptase PCR for selected hepatic cytokines in Wistar Rats, , International Post Graduate Research conference 2015, University of Kelaniya.
4. H A E Samaranayake, L L W C Yalegama and H P D T Hewapathirana (2015) Optimization of the osmotic dehydration process to prepare coconut chips and value addition of sweet coconut chips, , 71st Annual Sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science.
5. H P D T Hewapathirana, L L W C Yalegama and H A E Samaranayake,(2015) Development of a ready-to-drink beverage from mature coconut water, 71st Annual Sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science.
6. B.K.P. Balasooriya , H.P.D.T. Hewa Pathirana and O.D.A.N. Perera (2015), Developing a noval method to collect fresh coconut sap for the production of coconut sugar. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Livestock Fisheries and Nutrition Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Pp 39.
7. L.E.P.E. Wijewickrama, L.L.W.C. Yalegama and V.P.N. Prasadi (2015). Physico- chemical variations of copra stored under different conditions and its effect on oil quality. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Livestock Fisheries and Nutrition Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Pp 38.
8. L.L.W.C. Yalegama, R. Sivakanesan and D.N. Karunarathne (2015). Effects of coconut kernel residues on serum lipid concentration on serum lipid concentration of rats. 5th international conference of sabaragamuwa university of Sri Lanka, Berjaya Hotel , Colombo.
9. L.L.W.C. Yalegama, M. Sovis and D. Dissanayake (2015). Effect of antioxidant and heat treatment on the free fatty acids formation of differently processes coconut oil. Cocos Journal of coconut research institute.21:01.13
2. S. L. Panadura, L.L.W.C. Yalegama and A. J. Fernando (2014) Effect of drying efficiency on quality of coconut oil. 5th international, conference on sustainable built environment. 12 th – 15 th in Kandy, Sri Lanka
3. L.L.W.C. Yalegama, N. Karunaratne, R. Sivakanesan and C. Jayasekara (2014). In vitro binding capacity of coconut kernel fibre concentrates to Iron, copper and zinc at different pH levels. 5th Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 15th -17th 2014BMICH Colombo.
4. D.D.I. Dhanushika, H.A.E Samaranayake,., A.J. Fernando, Kinetics of osmotic dehydration in coconut chips. 2014. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, pp 16.
5. R.K.G. Rajakaruna, H.A.E. Samaranayake, M.G.P.P. Mahindarathne. Development of flavoured sweet coconut chips. 2014. International Research Session, Proceedings of Peradeniya University, Sri Lanka.
1. L.L.W. C. Yalegama, D. NedraKarunarathne, Ramiah, Sivakanesan and Chitrangani Jayasekara (2013). Chemical and functional properties of fibre concentrates obtained from by- products of coconut kernel. Food Chemistry, 141: Pp124-130.
2. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Howes, T. and Aldred, P. (2011). Surface Protein Coverage and its Implications on Spray-drying of Model Sugar-rich Foods: Solubility, powder production and characterization, Food Chemistry, 128(4): Pp. 1003-1016.
3. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2011). The Effects of Proteins and Low Molecular Weight Surfactants on Spray Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods: Powder Production and Characterisation, Journal of Food Engineering, 104: Pp. 259-271.
4. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2011). The Effect of Protein Types and Low Molecular Weight Surfactants on Spray-Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods, Food Hydrocolloids, 25: Pp. 459-469.
2. Buddhika, W.L.N., Perera, L.C.S., Suriarachchai, M.N. and Fernando, J.A.K.M. (2010). Development of coir fibre reinforced cement composite board, Proceedings of the third symposium on Plantation Crop Research held from 30th September to 1st October, 2010 at Cinnamon Grand Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
3. Perera, T.H.S., Jayasinghe, M.C.N. and Yalegama, L.L.W.C. (2010). Determination of fatty acid profile in oil cake using gas chromatography technique, 3rd international symposium held from 26th August to 28th August at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
4. Asanka, J.R.K., Jeewanthi, K.M.P. and Guanthilake, R.P.D. (2010). Oil recovery from desiccated coconut process water to produce value added coconut oil, Research symposium of Uva Wellassa University of Sri Lanka.
5. Jayasundera, M., Benu, A., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2010). The Effect of Food-Grade Low Molecular-Weight Surfactants and Sodium Caseinate on Spray Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods, Food Biophysics, 5: Pp. 128-137.
6. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2010). Effect of sodium caseinate and LMS on spray drying of sucrose and fructose: Powder production and characterization, Proceedings of Annual Research Conference of University of Ballarat, Australia in November 2010.
7. Jayasundera, M. and Adhikari, M. (2010). Effects of a dairy and a plant protein along with low molecular weight surfactants on spray-drying of sugar-rich foods, Proceedings of 2010 Chemeca, in Adelaide, Australia from 26th to 29th September 2010.
2. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Aldred, P. and Ghandi, A. (2009). Surface Modification of Spray-Dried Food and Emulsion Powders with Surface-Active Proteins: A Review. Journal of Food Engineering, 93: Pp. 266-277.
3. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2009). The effect of proteins and surfactants on the spray-drying of sticky sugar-rich foods, 4th International Symposium on Spray Dried Dairy Products, 15-17th April 2009, Melbourne Convention Centre, Australia.
4. Asanka, J.R.K., Amadoru, I.J. and Fernandopulle, M.N.D. (2009). Coconut shell biomass gasification with waste heat recovery technology to dry pulverized kernel for virgin coconut oil extraction, Agriculture Symposium, Wayamba University, Makandura.
2. Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Ambigaipalan, P. and Arampath, P.C. (2008). Physico-chemical and shelf life evaluation of pasteurized coconut milk, Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 16-17, Bandaranayake Memorial International Conference Hall, Colombo.
3. Darmasena, D.S.P., Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Fernandopulle, M.N.D. and Marikkar, J.M.N. (2008). Studies on increasing the keeping quality of cup copra, Proceedings of 8th Agricultural Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture and Management, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Makadura, Sri Lanka, Pp. 341-344.
4. Banu, M.K.I., Marikkar, J.M.N., Fernandopulle, M.N.D. and Yalegama, C. (2008). Effect of kiln drying on ball copra formation, Proceedings of 8th Agricultural Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture and Management, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Makadura, Sri Lanka, Pp. 312-315.
5. Fernando, J.A.K.M., Weerasinghe, T.M.S.G., Mallawaarachchi, S.M., Jayasekera, C. and Marikkar, J.M.N. (2008). Development of a technology for coir retting using consortium of micro organisms, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October16-17, 2008, BMICH, Colombo, Pp. 45-52.
6. Asanka, J.R.K., Prasangika, J.P.C., Marikkar, J.M.N. and Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. (2008). Production of pulverized kernel for virgin coconut oil extraction: Assessment on particle size distribution, drying curve pattern and quality characteristics, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 16-17, 2008, BMICH, Colombo, Pp. 327-335.
7. Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2008). The effect of proteins and surfactants on the spray-drying of highly sticky sugar-rich foods, Proceedings of Annual Research Conference of University of Ballarat, Australia.
2. Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A., Prasadika, A.A.M., Jayasinghe, C.L.V. and Premakumara, G.S. (2007). Assessment of the stability of virgin coconut oil during deep-frying, Int. J. Coco Res. Dev., 23 (1): Pp. 62–70.
3. Jayasinghe, J.A.A.K., Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. and Gajanayake, K.G.M.C.P.B. (2007). Exploring constraints and motivations of HACCP adoption in the virgin coconut oil and white edible copra industries of Sri Lanka, In proceedings of the 7th Agriculture Research Symposium of the Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, 23-24 October 2007.
2. Yalegama, L.L.W.C. and Chavan, J.K. (2006). Preparation of dietary fibre from coconut kernel, J. Food Sci Technology, 43(5), Pp. 491-492.
3. Yalegama, L.L.W.C. and Chavan, J.K. (2006). Studies on utilization of coconut flour as a source of cell wall polysaccharides, Tropical Agricultural Research, 18, Pp. 126-134.
4. Ekanayake, S., Marikkar J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. (2006). Effect of virgin coconut oil and essential fatty acids enriched virgin coconut oil on serum blood cholesterol level in Wistar rats, Proceedings of 61st Annual sessions of Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Science.